Vectorial potential of Blattella germanica as carriers of human intestinal parasites in Van, Turkey
International Conference on Parasitology
August 24-26, 2015 Philadelphia, USA

Bekir Oguz

University of Yuzuncu, Turkey

Posters-Accepted Abstracts: J Bacteriol Parasitol


Cockroaches are claimed to be mechanical transmitters of disease causing microorganisms such as intestinal parasites, bacteria, fungi, and viruses. A study was conducted to determine the role of cockroaches as potential carriers of parasites of medical importance in Van, Turkey. One hundred and thirty-eight cockroaches were collected from different parts of apartments and houses around the town from March to April 2014. All of the collected cockroaches were identified to species as Blatella germanica. They were examined for isolation and identification of human intestinal parasites from external surface of cockroaches. The results show that 66 (48%) of the cockroaches harboured parasitic organisms. Of these, 96.6% were protozoa and the remaining 3.4% were helminthes. Of the isolated helminthes, the species included Toxocara sp. (3%), Ascaris lumbricoides (3%), Trichostrongylus sp. (1.5%), Trichuris trichiura (1.5%), unidentified nematode egg samples (3%). The protozoa types that were identified included Endolimax nana (7.6%), Blastocystis hominis (41%), Entamoeba histolytica/E. dispar (16.7%), Eimeria spp. (7.6%), Chilomastix mesnilli (4.5%), Entamoeba coli (35%), Giardia sp. (13.6%), Iodamoeba butschlii (7.6%). In conclusion, Blattella germenica was found to harbor intestinal parasites of public health importance. Hence, awareness on the potential role of cockroaches in the mechanical transmission of human intestinal parasites needs to be created. Therefore, control of cockroaches will substantially minimize the spread of infectious diseases in our environment.

Biography :

Bekir Oguz has completed his PhD from Yuzuncu Yıl University. He is an Assisstant Professor in Parasitology, Veterinary Faculty. He has published more than 6 papers in reputed journals.